Oak Desks Explained
Whether for use in a home office or a professional work environment, a desk is one of the most vital items of office furniture, with a decent desk being able to make the difference between a productive work space or not.
An oak desk is one of the more popular styles of desk due to both the properties of the underlying oak wood itself, as well as for the freedom of choice provided by the vast selection of various styles of oak furniture collections.
Oak wood is a robust, naturally occurring material, which can combine fantastically with a mixture of other material types and colours owing to its neutral tone.
The varying grain pattern of each individual oak desk ensures that every desk is unique and benefits from its own distinctive sense of charm and personality.
When browsing for your next oak office desk we recommend to keep the following points in mind to ensure that your selected model not only meets, but exceeds your desired criteria:
- Oak computer desks are designed with PC integration in mind, including built-in cable tidiers, keyboard trays and designated PC storage cupboards or shelves
- Corner desks can be used to take full advantage of the space a room has to offer
- Solid oak desks provide superior performance and longevity, offering exceptional value for money in the long run
- An assortment of different sized drawers and cupboards enable you to group similar objects together for better organisation of items such as files, stationary and office peripherals
- Oak desks from large furniture collections ensure that if in the future you need to upgrade or add furniture items to the same room you are not limited by choice
As previously mentioned, by selecting one of the quality oak desks on display here you are taking a significant step towards achieving the ideal working environment. It is recommended to combine a suitably sized desk with an ergonomic office chair to ensure correct posture is maintained while using the desk - particularly if usage is for extend periods of continuous hours.
Please continue reading to find out more about the various oak desks we have mentioned in the previous section.
Solid Oak Desks
The majority of oak desks for sale here are actually premium solid oak models. Solid oak furniture is commonly assumed to be much costly than regular oak furniture items, but as you can see here there is little difference between the 2 styles.
When referring to desks as being solid oak desks this means that the timbers used throughout the construction process are entirely premium grade oak.
Some desks may combine solid oak timbers with lesser quality substitutions in non-visible areas of the desk such as the back of the unit or drawer inners. In these instances the product listing should not be classified as a solid oak desk as it is not used exclusively.
Some of the key characteristics of this style of desk that make it so popular include:
- Handcrafted by expert tradesmen that take pride in their work and the quality of the finished product
- Superior robustness and stability throughout, including the drawers which are assembled using reinforced dovetail joinery techniques and solid timber pieces
- Value for money - the increased lifespan saves money in the long run
- Immediately obvious visually that these oak desks are of the finest quality and never failure to capture the attention
Again, like the other styles of desks here, you certainly have no shortage of choice when it comes to choosing a particular look within a category. The Rustic Solid Oak Desk is a beautiful example of a dark oak furniture item, as well as offering the more traditional rustic design style defined by the aged wooden appearance and the antique brass handles fitted to the drawers.
For something with a contemporary feel to it, then the Solid Oak Desk from the Alto Oak Furniture Collection would make a fine addition to the office. Other highlights of this item include the computer integration design which just goes to show it has been assembled with the modern office user in mind.
Oak Corner Desks
An oak corner desk is a great way to make full use of every inch of available space in the room. They are also optimally designed for computer users that operate a multi-screen setup particularly with the larger sized screens.
If more than one person needs to share the work space, additional desks from the same oak furniture collection can be combined to provide a continuous workspace that is consistent in both height and style. Storage furniture pieces can also be used to bridge these desks to offer greater flexibility through shared storage locations.
This Reclaimed Oak Computer Corner Desk is a fine example of this desk category. Furthermore, the Reclaimed Oak range offers alternative desk shapes and additional furniture types enabling you to achieve the previously discussed work area.
If you would like to see all of our corner desks please visit our Oak Corner Desks section.
Oak Computer Desks For The Home Office
While oak - much like any wood - is often seen as a traditional furniture piece, the majority of the oak desks here have been designed to offer seamless integration with a modern PC. Modern working habits have made the computer a common and essential piece of equipment, so it makes sense that the furniture of today evolves with our needs.
Some of the features that these specially designed desks provide include:
- Dedicated keyboard tray beneath the desk top - often concealed by an attractive panel that hides the contents when not in use
- Storage shelf intended to be used to hold a PC tower unit - typically inside a cupboard space
- Strategically located holes to enable cabling to run out of the back of the desk in an organised manner and out of plain view
This functionality is offered across the range of oak desks including both large and small oak desks. The Large Solid Oak Office Desk from the Tokyo collection is a fully featured example of this range, providing many useful features that any modern PC user will find handy.
If you would prefer something a little smaller but still capable of accommodating computer equipment then the Nero Small Oak Desk could be just what you are looking for. An unobtrusive profile packaged together in a visually appealing desk frame with plenty of drawer space.